Android is the name of a mobile operating system owned by an American company. It comes in a variety of devices like smartphones, tablets, etc. It provides its users Google services like search, YouTube, maps, Gmail and much more.
It means you can search on the web, can take information, watch videos and write Emails on the phone just as you do on your computer but that’s not enough. Android is more than that.
Android is based on Linux operating system but not that Linux system you run on your PC. You only can’t run Linux programs you are familiar with on an Android. Linux only makes the core part of an Android. Google hasn’t added all the software and libraries you find on Linux. That’s what makes the difference. Here is a brief android history.
This technology is eight years old. The first smartphone HTC G1 having Android technology was launched in September 2008 having android version 1.0.
• It includes Google apps like Gmail and YouTube.
• It also includes mp3 to purchase and listen to music as Google has no music app.
It took only five years from the release of first android device to make Android most the modern operating system. To study the Android History we should know about the different versions.
Android has produced many versions some of which are:
Android 1.5 (cupcake):
• It was released in 2009.
• Developers started to give tasty nicknames to Android versions.
• On-screen keyboards replace physical keyboards
• Video recording includes in Android for the first time because of camcorder app
• Videos can also be uploaded to YouTube.
• Auto rotation allows the screen to show the display in horizontal.
Android 1.6 (donut):
• It released in September 2009.
• Multiple screen resolutions are available for the first time.
• The quick search box allows searching the web and phone without launching the browser or separate app.
• Camera, camcorder, and gallery are accessible together with a toggle when you open a camera; there is an icon on the corner showing the last picture taken, tapping on the icon takes the user to a gallery.
• The battery user indicator shows the user which apps uses the most battery.
• The power control widget brings easy toggle for Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, and brightness.
Android 2.0 (Eclair):
• Google is introduced in Android giving the turn to turn directions to the phone.
• Quick contact option allows a simple wat to access contacts and various options.
• Browsers are updated to search from address bar, save bookmarks along with the thumbnail of the web page, and HTML 5 supported
• On screen buttons are now available to answer or avoid the call, ignoring those hardware buttons.
• Camera now includes a variety of features like flash, color effect, macro focus, digital zoom, scene mood and white mood.
• It was released in January 2010.
• Live wallpapers are introduced in the Android giving amazing animation to the display.
• Gallery receives the Update in Android 2.1; photos appear as piles of snapshots, and the background is taken from the random pictures of yours.
• The weather and news app introduced first time in android; weather app gives you an update of next six days, in the news app, you can move along the tabs to go to various news categories.
• Google Voice make debut giving the new way to make the call without typing the phone number.
Android 2.2 (froyo):
• It was released in May 2010.
• Dalvik VM: Just-in-time (JIT) compiler brings massive speed to Android.
• You can install or move your apps to SD card from internal storage to free up space on the device.
• The native hotspot feature allows your device to serve as a wireless hotspot for other devices.
So this is the explanation of some versions of Android there are many versions which were released later. Each version adds new features to Android.
The other versions include:
Android 2.3 (Gingerbread)
Android 3.0 (Honeycomb)
Android 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich)
Android 4.1 (Jelly Bean)
Android 4.4 (KitKat)
Android 5.0 (Lollipop)
So this was a android history.Android is developing day by day and is the most popular and used operating system in the world.